Friday, September 5, 2008

Working Hard or Hardly Working

Which is better or, for that matter, worse: to be busy working or having nothing to do? To be working so hard that you miss the little moments to just BE in a place, to just BE with people, OR to feel like you are not being productive or useful at all? For the last few weeks, the children have all been on holiday from school (they are between terms), which means no work for me. Sure, I should enjoy relaxing, reading, walking around town, etc. But, it has also been a struggle. Many times in the last couple weeks I have questioned myself. What are you doing? Sure, I've gone in to the school several times to speak with the Headmistress, Director of Academic Studies, and Director of ARM Schools to try and solidify my purpose, goals, schedule, and action plan, but things have gone slowly. I've done some prep work, but until I am in the schools and can experience their education system, it is hard to truly prepare. So, I am learning to just be patient, to slow down and learn about the culture and my surroundings. In many ways, it is actually a blessing that I was not thrown into the fire to fend for myself. I am starting to feel more comfortable with the village paths, the taxi routes, the stares and calls, expressing my expectations, etc. all which simply take time. I'm sure the exhaustion from working with students all day long will be here soon enough. Then, I'll look back and wish I was hardly working! ha! Interesting that the theme in my devotions this month is contentment. Be content with where God has put you in this moment for whatever purpose He may have... I am reminding myself that all the time now :)

2 comments:

Becky Freeman said...

PUMA! I miss you. Glad you're learning to enjoy the different seasons. Funny to think how different our lives are this fall as compared to last fall?

Liz Thomson said...

It's so true - I felt the same way when I first got to Michigan. Things will pick up! But yes, this is a huge lesson to learn. Contentment - so true!!!

I miss Beth!

I love Beth!!!