Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Almost Famous...

It feels a little strange, but I imagine this is as close as I am going to get to being famous. As I walk down the street the children run up to say, "Hi mzungu! Bye mzungu!" (Mzungu is a term used for any white or American person.) Adults on the street walk by and say, "How are you mzungu? How is your time here mzungu?" Taxi and boda boda drivers want to know if the mzungu needs a ride. They are never to busy to take a mzungu where they want to go. There was even a man at the taxi park today that said, "I love you mzungu!" So much attention. So many eyes constantly watching you. They don't know you from one mzungu to the next, but yet they are still intrigued. They are always wanting something. They know that they can get more from mzungus than anyone else. So, they are shocked when the mzungu wants to walk all the way to her destination by herself or when she knows how to respond to their greeting, "Oli Otya." My hope is that they will know me as more than just another mzungu, not just someone they want to get close to but that they can get close with. I know, crazy thought, but it's lonely being famous. Good thing I have other mzungus around for now. They just think I'm normal.

No comments: