Friday, April 24, 2009

Cheap Labor

Hiring labor around here is pretty cheap...

Jeff and Christine hired three men to dig a plot of land today...I'm talking like 8 hours of over-your-head, swinging a hoe kind of digging...not easy.

They've been hired at a wage of 8,000 shillings per day...that's equivalent to about $4 for an entire day of work.

Doesn't seem like much to me...but they're willing to take the work.

At dinner, I made a comment about the cheap labor and Jeff so kindly calculated my own wages for the week...

I started working at the Gaba Bible Institute this past Wednesday, since the kids are on holiday from school, and I'm currently working on a project to "fix" student files from the last 3 years, which is necessary as GBI moves toward national accreditation. I worked about 18 hours...I was paid today with a trip to Ciao Ciao to get ice cream ($0.50). That comes to less than $.03 per hour!!

Now, THAT'S cheap labor!

2 comments:

dc said...

I guess it's all about perspective, eh? :)

Renee said...

I can't believe he didn’t even spring for 2 scoops!! he he