Monday, February 16, 2009

Back to Work!

Although attendance was sparse, two weeks ago marked the beginning of a new school year for the children of Uganda. I'm still teaching English Reading, but in a slightly different capacity...rather than pulling reading groups (10 students at a time) to work in the library with me, I am teaching whole class reading lessons (to 40-60 students at a time).

Why do this instead? Because ALL the students desperately need to learn basic reading skills, as well as it allows the teachers to actually see what I am doing with the students. They can then adopt some of the strategies as their own, brilliant, eh?! I do have to admit, teaching to such large groups at a time present new challenges...especially when there is a lack of teaching materials to use and little to no classroom management presently in place. I'm sure the stories will begin to flow soon enough...

1 comment:

Renee said...

I am eagerly awaiting more stories. i know there have been some fun things since you started. please keep me entertained and write about them!!!