Thursday, November 13, 2008

Calling All Single Ladies!

I don't quite remember how it started, but at lunch today what started as a bit of curiosity turned into total mayhem. The staff room is typically a pretty quiet place at lunch, but today I'm sure people could here the laughing, yelling, and cheering from a good distance.

Somehow, it came up that the three single, male teachers would like American wives. To this I said, "You DO realize that American women are very different and expect different things than Ugandan women, right?"

This is when the bombardment of questions began. After I mentioned that both men and women help with housework in America, marriage is a partnership, we are equal, etc. the ladies started chiming in, "Yeah, you men need to learn how to help!" The men were discouraged at this.

Both sides quoted the Bible to support their arguments, they asked the "experienced" man what he thought, etc. It was all in good fun, but totally chaotic.

Even after all this, the three single men said they will continue to pray and persevere in their search for an American wife. One even said he wants to give me some photos of himself so I can show them to my single friends. Single ladies...any takers?

No comments: