Monday, October 13, 2008

"Church"

Since arriving, I've been attending Gaba Community Church on Sunday mornings. It's the church associated with ARM and the school I am working at. It's a pretty big church. Many Sundays there are westerners visiting from all over. There's a choir, there's music, there's prayer, there's a sermon, and there's announcements. Seems pretty typical, right?

But, it still doesn't feel like my "home church." So, Renee and I decided to have "church" at home this week. We made a yummy breakfast of eggs and potatoes and then listened to a Mariners Church podcast as we ate. This felt more like "church" than actually going to church. There's just something about listening to a sermon that matches my cultural experiences in life. I even laughed a couple of times listening, something that I never do here because I just don't get what's funny when people around me are laughing.
I will probably still go to church at Gaba or maybe try some of the international churches around, but it definitely makes me appreciate church back home :)

1 comment:

Becks Blog said...

awwwwwwww!!! I so know what you are talking about!!! Especially jokes in spanish, i was like, huh? But remember, this is an experience of a lifetime! so enjoy the African church, you will probably grow to love it and miss it when you get back :)