Monday, May 11, 2009

Chess Anyone?

Every few days I walk over to the primary school to check in and to make sure they don't forget I'm still around (since I've been working over at the Bible Institute the last 2 1/2 weeks). Today, I found three of the guy teachers huddled around one of the new computers.

"Beth! Oh Good! You came at the perfect time!"

Huh? This was not the quiet, yet respectful, greeting I typically received when arriving.

Well, the guys had discovered Chess on the new computer and had no idea how to really play. They were just clicking on pieces and making moves blindly...and thus, kept losing.

"Do you know how to play?"
"Sure."

So, with my limited expertise, I spent a few minutes going over the moves each piece can make, some strategies, the goal of the game, etc. We played a "practice game" while I was there, and they started to catch on, a little, but I could definitely see the wonder growing in their eyes. It's that look kids get when they get a new video game and end up playing for hours...mouth open, eyes wide. I imagine those guys may still be there 8 hours later playing away! I think I successfully managed to give the teachers an excuse not to get any work done this week as they become more and more addicted to the wonders of computer games.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Well at least they are playing a game that utilizes strategic thinking.