Sunday, December 7, 2008

Jinja

I came back bruised, sunburned, and with bug bites all over my body, but it was worth it anyway...

Renee and I decided to take a few days to get away from Kampala, before she heads back home for good. With flights being so expensive, we decided to go to Jinja, just a couple hours away by bus.

Jinja is the home of the "Source of the Nile" and some of the best whitewater rapids in the world. So, how could I resist?

Most of my bruises came from the first BIG rapid we went through. I was thrown out of the boat and everything was a white blur! I was thrown out of the boat on the next class 5 rapid as well and then tossed around the boat a few times after that...

I did manage to stay in the boat going down the 15ft. waterfall though!

The next day, we took a well deserved "day of rest" by the pool...

The third day was spent lounging around with a book as well, but I also took the chance to swim in the Nile and test my luck fishing... No luck this time!

We finally decided it was time to head home on the fourth day...taking public transport back to Kampala. It's only about $1.50 for the two hour bus ride back to the city, and then another $.50 to take a taxi home... not bad, as long as you're willing to deal with the joys of public transport in Africa.

1 comment:

dc said...

Yay! What a fun adventure. I love whitewater rafting! I can't wait to hear all your stories in person...